— Josh's catchphrase.
Hollywood, LA (currently)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin (formerly)
Maddie Rooney (Ex-Girlfriend, In Love With)
Heights, anything that is easy to get, being bought
Josh Willcox is a recurring character in Liv and Maddie. He was Liv's co-star in Voltage, as Garrison, Tess' love interest until the mantle of Skyvolt was passed to him. He was also Maddie's boyfriend, but he isn't over her and is in love with her. He's best friends with Joey.
Josh is portrayed by Lucas Adams.
Josh was born in Hollywood, California. He likes boxlotti (a combo of boxing and Pilates), something he did with his friends in LA. Josh has played baseball since he was 2, with his position being a shortstop, especially because he has lightning quick reflexes. He is very naïve at times, because he is unfamiliar with the Hollywood scene (despite living in Hollywood). He is a hardworker and believes that something worth doing is worth doing right, and it's because of this that if he wants something, he has to fight for it, as shown in Home Run-A-Rooney. It is shown in episodes like Home Run-A-Rooney and Scoop-A-Rooney, that Josh is a romantic guy as she has shown this side of himself towards Maddie and how much he really cares for her. It is also shown in Choose-A-Rooney that Josh is really sensitive at the heart, considering he cries when he sees Maddie looking at Diggie, and then almost cries again when letting Maddie go when they are breaking up, showing how strong his feelings truly are for her, showing he loves her. Josh is very confident, but he loses it in Friend-A-Rooney, really depressed after his break up with Maddie, so much it gets to the point where he forgets stuff, including forgetting how to breathe, and speaking in high and low pitched voices, showing he still loves her. In that same episode, its shown Josh honors friendships based on unconditional loyalty and honesty, and was really hurt when he thought Joey was being paid to be his friend. Josh is very laid back and a fun loving kind of guy as seen in Home Run-A-Rooney, when he goes along with Liv teasing him.
Josh grew up in Hollywood and moved to Stevens Point once he got the role as Garrison in Voltage. He then moved back to Hollywood after SkyVolt-A-Rooney, when Voltage was relocating there, which is partly why he appears in season 4, other than obviously for Maddie.
In Co-Star-A-Rooney, Josh is introduced and he introduces himself to Liv, saying he is nervous about auditioning for the role of Garrison. In the end, Josh gets the role of Liv's character's love interest, Garrison. However, because Josh has had to move away from Hollywood and has never visited Wisconsin, he doesn't know much about Stevens Point so in Cowbell-A-Rooney, Liv, helps him get to know more about it and he reveals he is from LA. She introduces him to one of Stevens Point's traditions, cowbell week, and he goes off against Maddie in the finals. In the end Josh loses but he says he loved the game and is more interested into knowing more about Stevens Point... and Maddie, having fallen for her during the game.
In Ask Her More-A-Rooney, Josh gets overly excited about being on the red carpet with Liv, and even more so with Kristen Bell. That is his first time on a red carpet.
In Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney, Josh is too scared to go up to Maddie and ask her out, one of his reasons being she just got out of a long term relationship (Diggie) and he isn't sure if she is ready. Liv also reveals Josh's crush on Maddie is huge, implying he is in love with her. Eventually, he gets over his fear, but when he goes up to her, he is really awkward and flustered. Josh improvises instead saying that he needs her basketball expertise for one of his scenes, when in reality he just wants to spend time with Maddie, which leads Josh to almost kiss Maddie, but she misunderstands him and laughs, leaving him confused and disappointed. Maddie also reveals she likes Josh back, but she does not tell him.
In Vive-La-Rooney, Josh spends more time with Maddie by playing Treehouse Horse, which leads to him to confessing his true feelings for her and that he wants to date her. Maddie tells Josh she doesn't know if she's ready to start dating yet, so Josh makes a bet with Maddie - if he beats her at a game of Treehouse Horse, she has to go on a date with him. After Josh loses, Maddie admits to him she likes him too, she asks him out, he says yes, and Josh and Maddie become a couple.
In Home Run-A-Rooney, Josh goes on his first date with his new girlfriend, Maddie, to a baseball game. Josh also reveals that his favourite player is Brandon Crawford, and after Maddie embarrasses Josh in front of the crowd by pushing him out the way and into a guy selling popcorn, Josh becomes dejected and Maddie feels guilty for upsetting him, so makes it up to him by allowing him to catch a home-run ball and meeting Brandon Crawford. Josh, however, thinks the catch was too easy because Maddie held back, and confesses to Maddie one of the reasons he likes her, which he says is one of the things he likes most like about her - because of her competitive side - the two make up and hug. Maddie also asks Brandon Crawford to hit another ball, and challenges Josh for it, so that it would be fair for Josh, allowing Josh to beat Maddie.
In Scoop-A-Rooney, Josh's relationship with Maddie is growing strong, and whilst they're on a date at Goofy Garry's Fun Zone, Nancy O'Dell mistakes Maddie for Liv, making the world believe that Josh is dating Liv rather than Maddie. Josh competes against Holden to be Joey's new best friend and Josh wins, only for Joey to ditch Josh when Diggie, unexpectedly, returns to Steven's Point for Maddie, despite her already dating Josh.
In Choose-A-Rooney, Josh reveals he and Maddie have been together for two months and its been great, saying their relationship is rock solid. Josh is at the wedding as the usher. However, whilst he is at Gemma and Johnny's wedding with her, Diggie turns up trying to take Maddie back from Josh. Whilst Diggie is singing, Josh looks very heartbroken at the way Maddie is looking at Diggie. He's so heartbroken, he even cries a bit over her, proving he obviously loves her. Josh and Maddie break up and she apologises for hurting him. Josh tells Maddie its okay and that he'll be okay, but struggles to let her go, showing how strong his feelings really are for her, again showing he loves her, leaving Josh completely heartbroken and Maddie teary-eyed.
In Friend-A-Rooney, Josh is really depressed ever since his split with Maddie, which causes him to lose his confidence, especially with his acting as he can't focus, showing he still loves her. When Joey gets hired to work on Voltage, he and Josh become co-stars, bringing them much closer friends and Joey has to try to help Josh get his confidence back, but Josh over hears Liv telling Joey that he has been paid to be his friend, really hurting Josh's feelings. Josh is so depressed, he even forgets how to breathe, showing how much he's thinking about Maddie and struggling with having to deal with having a broken heart. However, from Joey and Liv's help, Josh is able to get his confidence back and he forgives them after apologising for hurting his feelings.
In SkyVolt-A-Rooney, Josh is a minor character. He is only seen properly with Liv on the Voltage set and they find out that Voltage is relocating to LA and Josh is only really seen as Garrison on the show. Liv had the script rewritten so that Tess passes the mantle to Garrison, meaning that Josh is the new Skyvolt. This is Josh's last appearance in season 3, as he goes back to LA with Voltage.
Josh has settled back in his hometown in LA, presumably continuing his Voltage career. However, his character doesn't seem to be well-received by his fans, possibly due to being the new SkyVolt. As such, fans probably consider Josh as SkyVolt to be an insult to the original character. It's possible that Josh's character is in trouble since Henry says in Scare-A-Rooney, the original Voltage plot line "went out the window", possibly implying Josh's role was changed in Voltage. Josh first appears in season 4, in Ex-A-Rooney. He and Maddie spend more time together again, rekindling their friendship, which Joey feels awkward about. Josh has been hanging out with Joey twice a week ever since they both moved there and Joey has been trying to keep Josh and Maddie apart since he hasn't been taking their break up well, hinting he might still not be completely over her just yet, but Maddie and Josh meet again when she comes home and are able to hang out well, which causes Joey to feel slightly jealous since Josh is his best friend. Josh agrees to not go to a game with Maddie and work on his film with Joey . Its shown in this episode that Josh can't tell Maddie and Liv apart when Liv disguises herself as Maddie and its hinted he might return later in the season.
Josh is shown to be very handsome, tall and muscular due to doing physical activities like baseball and boxlotties. He has dirty blonde hair, green eyes, and tan skin. According to Maddie, Josh looks like a jock and she thinks he is very handsome. Josh is shown to wear very casual, but cool kind of clothes and then when he acts as Garrison, his clothing style is different, and is usually seen wearing Garrison's trademark flat cap. Although Josh is only 18 years old, he actually looks like he is in his 20's, although this is due to Lucas Adams being 23 years old.
Josh is very built, due to the fact whenever he folds his arms they bulge in his sleeves and his chest is usually visible.
In season 3, Josh's style is very casual and his hair is more flat in some episodes than others as seen in episodes like Scoop-A-Rooney. In season 4, Josh's style is very similar to season 3. Its shown in Ex-A-Rooney that he likes to wear shirts with short sleeved shirts on the top and sometimes wears necklaces in some episodes. Also in season 4, his hair seems to be slightly less flat and is parted on the left with it swept on the right.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Josh does physical activities such as boxlotti, an activity that involves boxing and Pilates. He also plays baseball and is shown to be muscular which means that he does these activities frequently. Because of this, he can handle getting hit, beaten, or thrown. Josh also is a good actor and it is shown in Ask Her More-A-Rooney that he has gained quite a few fans from his role on Voltage. It is shown in Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney, Home Run-A-Rooney and Scoop-A-Rooney that Josh is very romantic and flirtatious as he very much so, shows this side of himself to Maddie. Josh is a fast runner as seen in Friend-A-Rooney when he manages to outrun Joey in a lap around the voltage set. Josh is shown to have a good memory when it comes to remembering his lines, but briefly loses his memory a bit in Friend-A-Rooney, where he can't remember how to do this, but this is due to him losing his confidence after his break-up with Maddie, possibly implying he has her on his mind the whole time rather than his lines to remember. Josh is good at magic tricks as seen in Scoop-A-Rooney and is a very caring guy as he hates to hurt people. Then in Choose-A-Rooney, even though Josh is deeply heartbroken, he cares a lot about Maddie, wanting her to be happy with Diggie, loving her enough to let her go, yet it ends up being a lot tougher than he thought. Its shown in Ex-A-Rooney that Josh appears to know a little bit of Parkour as he is quite good at cartwheels and is flexible since he does this when shooting s scene for his movie with Joey, but he does also bump into him when doing it.
Although he is good at other sports, Josh is bad at basketball, as shown in Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney. Josh is also acrophobic, as seen in Vive-La-Rooney, but he does try to get over this for Maddie. He gets nervous pretty easily, and is also not great at holding it back as seen in Ask Her More-A-Rooney and Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney when he acts star struck around Kristen Bell and Maddie. Being an actor, Josh can make cover stories more convincing, but he's bad at backing them up. Josh is really sensitive as seen in Choose-A-Rooney, when he cries a bit when he sees Maddie looking at Diggie, completely breaking Josh's heart. It's also evident in Friend-A-Rooney that he does not know how to properly cope with major losses such as breakups, putting a psychological strain on him as he can't work properly, especially since Joey mentions in Ex-A-Rooney that Josh has been taking the break up hard. It's implied that Josh's subtle interactions with Maddie in that episode combined with preferring to do ridiculous activities with Joey suggests that he's avoiding his problems and not coping with his breakup in a healthy manner.
(Ex-Girlfriend/In Love With)
Maddie was Josh's girlfriend. They two first met in Cowbell-A-Rooney and Josh instantly fell in love with Maddie, which he revealed to Liv. In Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney, Josh wanted to ask Maddie out and she was revealed to like him back. The two had a romantic, somewhat intense moment, where they locked eyes and almost kissed. Then in Vive-La-Rooney, the two started to hang out more, and Josh finally admitted his feelings for Maddie, which she also told him. Maddie decided she was ready to start dating again, and asked Josh out, which he got excited about and said yes. The two became an official couple. They went on their first date in Homerun-A-Rooney and were still happily dating in Scoop-A-Rooney, but they broke up in Choose-A-Rooney, leaving Josh completely heartbroken and Maddie teary-eyed, showing she regretted doing this. However, they hinted that they could get back together in season 4, which is very likely. In Friend-A-Rooney, Josh is really depressed after his break up with Maddie, which causes him to lose his confidence, showing he is still in love with her. It has been confirmed that Josh is in love with Maddie. Josh and Maddie hang out more again in Ex-A-Rooney, rekindling their friendship, which causes Joey to feel awkward about it. (See Josh and Maddie (relationship) for more information)
Joey is Josh's best friend. Despite that Josh and Joey haven't hung out much alone, they appear to be good friends and they are first properly seen hanging out together at Goofy Garry's in Scoop-A-Rooney, becoming closer and good friends. They become co-stars on Voltage in Friend-A-Rooney and Joey helps Josh get his confidence back after losing it. In Ex-A-Rooney, it's revealed they've been hanging out since Joey moved to LA. They've been doing so without Maddie being the wiser, trying to prevent Josh from reliving the pain of his breakup.(See Josh and Joey (relationship) for more information)
Josh and Liv are good friends, were co-stars on Voltage and they became friends. Liv helped Josh fit in at Wisconsin after moving from LA in Cowbell-A-Rooney. They hang out together and are shown to be close friends. Liv likes to tease Josh as seen in Home Run-A-Rooney. Liv tries to help Josh in Friend-A-Rooney, after he loses his confidence due to really struggling with his break up with Maddie (although their break up was technically Liv's fault for going behind Josh's back).(See: Josh and Liv (relationship) for more information.)
Josh and Holden first met in Co-Star-A-Rooney when they both auditioned to play Garrison, Liv's love interest in Voltage and even though Josh got the role and Holden didn't, he was okay with it and it was assumed they were friends. They are first properly seen hanging out a little in Scoop-A-Rooney, with Joey holding a competition that Josh was interested in. (See: Josh and Holden (relationship) for more information)
Josh knew about Diggie long before Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney. Diggie found out about Josh in Scoop-A-Rooney, when Diggie learnt that Josh was dating Maddie, causing Diggie to become worried and come back to Steven's Point for Maddie, leaving her hopelessly confused on who she wanted to be with. Then in Choose-A-Rooney, Josh officially met Diggie, whom he did not expect to come back. Josh greeted him with a nonchalant acknowledgement devoid of emotion. He also learnt that Diggie wanted Maddie back while Josh was dating her, which caused Maddie to choose between the two, showing that Diggie and Josh didn't get along, or at the very least were indifferent toward each other. Although Josh tried to be kind to Diggie when they introduced themselves to each other, they both didn't like what was going on. Then when Josh walks in on Diggie singing, Diggie goes as far for his dislike for Josh, by looking at Josh when he is looking down, heartbroken, knowing its breaking his heart, implying Diggie has a strong dislike for Josh, but Josh tries to like Diggie as he lets Maddie be happy with Diggie, although Josh is deeply devastated and heartbroken about losing Maddie to Diggie, only showing Josh is the one who truly loves Maddie, especially by loving her enough to let her go, which Diggie hasn't done at all. (See:Diggie and Josh (relationship))
- Initially, Josh served as the eyes and ears of the audience, as he often asked questions the audience would normally ask, which helped new viewers understand the show.
- Josh first appeared in Co-Star-A-Rooney.
- He's from LA.
- His catchphrase is "Whooo!" He usually says this when he is excited.
- Josh played Tess' (Liv's) love interest, Garrison, in Voltage.
- He really likes Maddie.
- He thinks Maddie is adorable like she does with him.
- He went to his first red carpet event in Ask Her More-A-Rooney. It's also evident from that episode that he's never spoken to a celebrity before.
- Josh loves Kristen Bell.
- He's bad at basketball, and tries to have Maddie teach him in Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney.
- He's played baseball since he was 2 and his position was a shortstop.
- He claims that he has lightning quick reflexes. This is proven true, because he was able to catch a flying baseball during a game in Home Run-A-Rooney.
- Josh can catch baseballs, but he can't catch basketballs. This is possibly because he is so used to playing baseball and not basketball.
- Josh attempted to kiss Maddie in Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney and its rumoured that Maddie finally kisses Josh in season 4, (or the other way around) which Diggie ends up seeing or hearing about.
- He admitted his feelings for Maddie in Vive-La-Rooney.
- Josh started going out with Maddie in Vive-La-Rooney.
- He was Maddie's second boyfriend, the first being Diggie.
- He is terrified of heights, but tried to get over them for Maddie.
- Josh liked to try to impress Maddie quite a lot before he started dating her.
- He is a huge Brandon Crawford fan. (Home Run-A-Rooney)
- Josh shares some similarities with Logan Watson from I Didn't Do it, because of appearance, specifically his dirty blonde hair, he's athletic, very tall confident, his personality, they both sometimes refer to themselves in third person, both are very sensitive at the heart, haven lost both girls to other guys, and both boys are very romantic. Also, because of Josh's relationship with Maddie, as their relationship is similar to Logan's relationship with Jasmine in a couple of ways, especially with there being an arc based upon their relationship and it being interfered by another guy.
- Josh is also similar to Barry Eisenberg from Best Friends Whenever, because both boys are shown to be socially awkward, had a not-so-subtle crush on a girl, and are big on pride and honor during any type of competition to the point of refusing anything that is easily given to them. His relationship with Maddie is similar to Barry's with Princess Daisy in that when they both began their first official interaction with their respective love interest by using basketball (various games in Barry's case) as an excuse to spend time with them, even though they were doing poorly at them. Both boys were willing to go an extra mile to make a romantic gesture towards the girl they like; Josh was willing to play a game of tree house horse with Maddie even though he was afraid of heights, while Barry was willing to open a time rift to retrieve Daisy's ballgown from 1522. In their relationship, another guy also stood in their way.
- He is very competitive. (Home Run-A-Rooney)
- He first returns in Ex-A-Rooney, which is also his first appearance since SkyVolt-A-Rooney.
- He likes how much different Steven's Point is to LA and thinks Cowbell Week is awesome. (Cowbell-A-Rooney)
- Josh is sort of Diggie's replacement as Diggie appeared in seasons 1 to 3 as Maddie's boyfriend in the first two seasons and making a couple of appearances in the third season, then Josh appears in season 3 as Maddie's boyfriend.
- It's assumed and shown by Josh's appearance that he is the same age as both Liv and Maddie, therefore he is about 18 in season 3 and 19 in season 4.
- He has shown to be a romantic kind of guy.
- Josh and Maddie break up in Choose-A-Rooney, but he isn't over her as stated in Friend-A-Rooney
- Josh loses his confidence in Friend-A-Rooney and is really depressed ever since his break up with Maddie, showing he is still in love with her.
- He's still in love with Maddie as revealed in Friend-A-Rooney.
- He is the only boyfriend to Maddie that her dad, Pete, actually likes.
- Josh is shown to be very sensitive at heart as he cried over Maddie when they broke up in Choose-A-Rooney and when he saw her looking at Diggie, completely breaking Josh's heart.
- He appears in 10 episodes in season 3, being the main recurring character in that season.
- Josh plays baseball, which is something his portrayer, Lucas Adams, does in real-life.
- Josh almost dies in Friend-A-Rooney, because he forgets how to breathe, due to not dealing with his break up with Maddie.
- He's a fast runner. (Friend-A-Rooney)
- He seems to have a habit of talking in third person. (Home Run-A-Rooney and Friend-A-Rooney)
- Whenever Josh can't focus properly, he either talks in a low or high voice as shown in Friend-A-Rooney.
- Josh takes over Liv's role of SkyVolt in the finale of Voltage in SkyVolt-A-Rooney. This is to set up his appearance in season 4, as Voltage is moving to Hollywood, which is also his hometown. Although apart from that reason, Josh is also probably back for Maddie, yet he'd least expect that as he likely moved back to LA before the Rooneys did since Voltage moved to LA in SkyVolt-A-Rooney and the Rooney's then moved there in Californi-A-Rooney.
- He appears properly in part 1 of the season finale and makes a cameo appearance in part 2.
- Even though Josh is really close friends with Liv, he appears to much closer to Joey since they're best friends, as seen in Friend-A-Rooney.
- He gets star struck easily as seen in Ask Her More-A-Rooney and nervous easily as seen in, Secret-Admirer-A-Rooney, and Home Run-A-Rooney.
- He can do magic tricks. (Scoop-A-Rooney)
- He does a sport called box-lattes, which is a combination of boxing and polities. (Cowbell-A-Rooney)
- He is shown to be a very laid-back kind of guy.
- Unfortunately, Josh will not be in the series finale End-A-Rooney, according to the episode's table read. However, it is rumoured that he will appear in the penultimate episode of the season, but it's unknown whether or not that is actually true or not.
- It has been confirmed that Josh is in love with Maddie.
- Because psychologists state that a crush that lasts for 4 months or more is considered to be "in love", then Josh is in love with Maddie since his crush on her lasted for 5 to 6 months before they started dating.
- He has never been to Wisconsin before moving there.
- He went back to California in SkyVolt-A-Rooney, because Voltage moved there.
- Josh seems to find it hard to act normal around other celebrities as seen in Ask Her More-A-Rooney, yet he seems fine around Liv. However, this is probably because Josh has spent a lot of time with Liv with Voltage and it took them both quickly to get used to each other and become close friends over the course of the season. In addition, Josh doesn't see Liv as a celebrity.
- Its seen in Scoop-A-Rooney that Josh has an iPhone, assembly a 6.
- Judging by how Liv stated that she ruined Voltage by leaving in Linda and Heather-A-Rooney, it's implied Josh as SkyVolt isn't well received by fans.
- Although Josh is only 19, he looks like a college student, in his 20's. However, this is due to Lucas Adams being 23 years old.
- He can do a good fancy guy impression. (Co-Star-A-Rooney.
- Josh possibly and seems to start liking basketball after his lessons with Maddie.
- Although Josh only appears as a cameo appearance in Californi-A-Rooney, he is credited as a normal recurring character instead of cameo.
- It's possible Josh's background is British since Willcox is a English orientated surname.
- Josh might return later in season 4, other than in Ex-A-Rooney, as hinted by Lucas Adams. Its also hinted in Ex-A-Rooney that Josh might return.
- Unlike Diggie, Josh is easily fooled when Liv impersonates Maddie.
- He and Joey have been making a movie and hanging out together since they both moved to LA.
|“||Oh don't stop because of me.||”|
|“||Josh. Auditioning for the role of Garrison?||”|
|“||Yes! I am so excited to work with you.||”|
|“||I can also do a good fancy guy impression!||”|
|“||I don't know what that means, but it has me rattled.||”|
|“||I call this, awesome!||”|
|“||Yeah. So, Maddie. Is she dating anyone?||”|
|“||How could you not? She's adorable.||”|
|“||I'm on the red carpet with Kristen Bell!||”|
|“||I can't hold it in, we're at the Fan Pick Awards!||”|
|“||Liv, I'm here to ask Maddie out. Whoo!||”|
|“||(in pain) J-Man's gonna need a minute.||”|
|“||Hey Mr. Rooney. New beard? Looks tight.||”|
|“||So, I really like this girl, and she might like me back, but I'm not sure. What do I do?||”|
|“||I really like you, Maddie.||”|
|“||Thanks for the girl advice Mr. Rooney. Maddie and I are going on a date.||”|
|“||I have a daaaate! Whooo!||”|
|“||He's my all time favourite player.||”|
|“||Don't ever turn off your competitive fire. Its one of the things I like most about you.||”|
|“||I gotta hand it to you, Mads. You really know how to plan a date.||”|
|“||The mango brings out your eyes.||”|
|“||He's not wrong. You did not get the singing gene.||”|
|“||Is this your card?||”|
|“||Maddie, your boyfriend has brought the finest picnic the dairy belt has ever seen.||”|
|“||Hey, I'm Josh.||”|
|“||I don't love that Maddie's old boyfriend is back in town, but Mosh is rock solid. We've had two great months together and I brought a picnic full of space salads. That says commitment.||”|
|“||Wow. You look beautiful, Maddie.||”|
|“||(almost cries again) Its okay. I'll be alright.||”|
|“||I forgot how Garrison walks!||”|
|“||(broken) Ever since Maddie broke up with me to get back together with Diggie, I've.... kinda lost my confidence (looks down, heartbroken)||”|
|“||I'm back, Josh is back! I'm doing a victory lap around the stage.||”|
|“||(not breathing properly) What do I do with the air?||”|
|“||Why would it be arkaward? We were friends before we dated, there's no reason we cant be friends now.||”|
|“||You totally burned us, nice!||”|
|“||Okay. I think its time to take a break.||”|
- Co-Star-A-Rooney (First appearance)
- Ask Her More-A-Rooney
- Californi-A-Rooney (cameo only)
| To view the Josh Willcox gallery, click here.